For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you'd know that last month, I got an Alexander Wang Rockie Duffel. In fact, I'd actually wanted to get the Rocco (the larger version) when it was first introduced years ago. But, every time I go to the store, I pick it up, and then put it right back down again in an instant, because it was just too heavy. Thanks to the studded base, which I couldn't get enough of, it was already so heavy when empty, I couldn't imagine how my shoulders and arm were going to suffer when I actually put my stuff in it. And that's coming from someone who usually doesn't mind a heavy bag - I mean, hey, after all, I've been lugging around the Givenchy Antigona and Celine Luggage Tote so I'm not a lightweight (if you get what I mean, and yes, pun intended ;). Plus, my mum always comments that it feels like I'm carrying rocks around in my bag, while dad says that my bag could actually function as a dumbbell equivalent. Somehow though, the Rocco was just too heavy and I really wasn't willing to break my back for it - and yes I'm sure almost all of us have read about the health hazards and damage to our backs and spines when we carry bags that are too heavy, but most of the time, it doesn't really stop us.
- I love carrying my bags on my arm (because I have sloping shoulders, ugh), but the Rockie looks much better slung on the shoulder than when held in the hand or the arm.
- I found the curved double-zippered flap top rather annoying at first. It really takes some getting used to, and would be a bit of a hassle, especially if you're in a hurry. The zipper pulls, however, are very well made, and close and open smoothly, even when the zipper pull is at an angle. Actually, they work much better when they're angled.
- Still on the flap top, I was worried that I'd have trouble retrieving my stuff from inside because the curved top is made smaller than the entire width of the bag. But this wasn't a problem at all because the zippers go round to part of the bag, making even easier to find yourself because it's such a large opening.
- Weighing in: It isn't as heavy as expected, but depending on how much stuff you have in your bag, let's just say it wouldn't be my first choice if I'm going to be walking around with it for almost an entire day. 4 hours is fine, but anything more, you might start to develop a stiff back/slight backache/discomfort. Or maybe because I'm so used to carrying bags on my arm? Anyhow, I still love it though.
- If you, like me, have sloping shoulders, rest assured, this stays up on your shoulder. ;) I was indeed very pleasantly surprised about this.
I hope you found this post helpful! If you'd like to get yourself a Rockie, you can find it in Classic Black here, Cream with Gold Hardware, Red, or a pastel-toned Blush here
All images by Bag Addicts Anonymous